Friday, July 5, 2013

Sprints and Abs

I'd be lying if I said I ever really wanted to become a runner. When I was in high school I wanted to become more active and involved, so I toyed with the possibilities of joining the swim team (no skills other than to stay alive), dance team (no skills whatsoever), and cheerleading squad (I had some gymnastics skills, but overall, too embarrassing). So much for those possibilities. The track and cross country teams, however, would take anyone - no tryouts necessary. So that's how I found my sport - in the spring of my sophomore year, I signed myself up for track. And every year after that it was cross country in the fall and track in the spring.

And also, I was slow. I would have been lucky to keep a 9 or 10 minute mile pace during my first few races. Now there's nothing wrong with a 9 or 10 minute mile pace for a run, but for a race that's 3 miles or less, that's just not going to cut it. The top girls were running 6 and 6:30 minutes per mile in cross country and even faster on the track.

I don't know if most people at my school even really considered cross country and track to be sports. It was more like every other sport's punishment. I felt like most people would look at the runners like we were crazy, and I have to admit, I can't completely disagree with them. We would wake up early on Saturdays and go for 2-hour runs. Come to school before sunrise during the week and practice. Endure afternoon practices on the cement track in the stadium under the blistering Georgia sun. Run in the rain. Practice running 1 mile...over, and over, and over again with only a minute or so of rest in between. Finish races in so much pain we could barely carry ourselves across the finish line.

Now that I'm not in high school anymore and no one is forcing me to run, I've finally been able to find ways to enjoy it. Yes, I still do tough running workouts that involve sprints and long distances which leave me totally drained, but I can tell how those workouts can make regular runs so much more worthwhile and actually enjoyable.

Running is an easy sport to pick up, relatively inexpensive, and you can reap the benefits of it very soon after beginning. Now I'm not saying it is easy overall - no way even close! When I first started I could barely run for two minutes without getting side stitches and becoming so winded that I needed to stop. But you'll get over that. Your body will become conditioned and before you know it you'll be running for 2 hours on Saturday mornings too!

But we'll build up to that. For one recent workout, I did 10 sprints followed by a 20-minute core workout. The best word I can think of to describe that workout is fierce. You will max out your speed and strength on this one.

But before I get to the workout, a few words on your core...

It is so important and beneficial to have some good solid core strength! It will help you in your daily life because a strong core supports good posture. It will help your stomach look flatter. And it will help you complete other workouts too, both strength and cardio. Especially cardio. It is also a good idea to do core and abdominal exercises near the end of your workout. Why? Because you need  your core to be as strong as possible and stabilize you during the workout. Don't wear it out right at the beginning.

Okay, time to turn off that daytime television, get off your buns, and do the exercises now.

Part 1: Sprints
I did sprints on a treadmill. I'm not a fan of the treadmill whatsoever, but for a workout where you're constantly adjusting the speed, it is tolerable. I guess. This is an interval-style workout. If you can program your treadmill to adjust the speed at intervals that you set yourself, that would be ideal. Also, if you have a timer on your watch or one that you can carry, that will also work if you want to do this outside. The benefit of using a treadmill is that once you set the speed, you can't cheat and slow down. When you're running outside it's easier to slow down without realizing it.

This is really simple:
Set the treadmill at a 1% incline, if using.
1 minute slow/moderate pace (walk or jog) [mine was a 6.0 mph jog]
1 minute very fast (sprint pace) [mine was between 9.0-9.5 mph run]
Repeat 10 times.

So that will be 20 minutes total on the treadmill. You may not be completely recovered by the time you're supposed to go into your next sprint. That's okay. Try to anyway. If you absolutely cannot maintain that fast speed and you think you're going to die trying, take the speed down just a little bit. Also, slow down your slow/moderate pace a bit. You can go really as slow as you want there - it's really the fast sprints that count in this workout.

Part 2: 20 minute abs
So it's not all "abs" but it really focuses on them. We're working chest, back, and obliques here too. Plus a bit of butt and legs. I divided the 20-minute abs into 5 sections and listened to a different song during each. That can help you stay on track and keep you moving the whole time. Complete each section before moving on to the next. Use either one or two hand weights, between 5 and 8 pounds each.

1. Warm-up. Do this section 2 or 3 times (or until you're feeling a little warmed up) before you move on to part 3.
  • Standing side bends (stand straight with weight in hands overhead, arms straight; bend slightly side to side, 10-12 reps total)
  • Squats with weight (feet shoulder width apart, hold the weight straight in front during the squats, arms parallel to the floor, 8-10 reps)
  • Standing oblique crunches (lift knee to the front, twist and tap opposite elbow to it; 8-10 reps per side)

2. Crunches! Do this section 3 times before moving on to part 3. Also, do all exercises continuously, no breaks until you're done!
  • 8 crunches with feet off the floor, knees bent at 90 degrees.
  • 10 bicycle crunches (so that's going to be 5 per side)
  • 8 toe touches using the weight (legs straight up, arms straight up, lift upper body so your hands with the weight in it move closer to your feet with each rep)
  • 5 full extensions (keeping arms and legs straight, lower arms and legs to the floor, then sweep them back up to start again before they touch the ground). See pictures below.
3. Plank work.
  • Plank row, 12 reps alternating sides (that will be 6 per side). See pictures below.
  • Regular plank, hold for 60 seconds.
  • Back extension on floor followed by one push up. 10 reps. 
  • Regular plank, hold for 30 seconds.
  • Back extension on floor followed by one push up. 5 reps.

4. Obliques. Repeat this section 3 times before moving on to part 5.
  • Russian twists, 30 seconds.
  • V-bicycle crunch, see picture below. As many as you can do in 30 seconds without letting your form get sloppy. 
  • Crazy Ivans, 30 seconds.

5. Low abs/deep core. Hang in there, almost done!
  • 12 V-crunches, weight held against your chest is optional, but try a few! Form should look like mine does in the picture below. Bring your knees and chest close together, then extend away. It would be better to cross your arms over that weight  against your chest if you're using it so you're not tempted to extend it away from your body (which would make this exercise easier/you might as well not even use the weight in that case).
  • 30 second flutter kick.
  • 45 second plank. First 15 seconds is a regular plank, next 15 add little knee cops (alternating), and last 15 seconds you're back to a regular plank.
Get a good stretch and some water now! If you're familiar with yoga at all, cobra or upward facing dog are great stretches for your abs and core. Child's pose will stretch your back really well too. 

I sincerely hope you've enjoyed the workout as well as the awkward photos of me working out. It's nearly as humiliating for me to post them as it was to ask my husband to take them for me. After he told me, "No, I'm not taking you're picture. I make fun of people who post pictures like that," he begrudgingly agreed to snap a few action shots. So I still think he's kind and I still love him to pieces! And then he did this ab workout with me and we mutually decided it was tough as nails. 

Again, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment